<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 16, 2004

Moving Day

I changed offices today at work, and the results get a decidedly mixed review. Although I am a big fan of getting paid to load a cart up with my belongings and move them, I do not like the looks I get silently inquiring if I have been fired, nor do I enjoy the especially prudish attitudes directed towards the budding sport of cart riding. I appreciate the kooky retro fun of sorting through a year’s worth of paperwork (most notably a series of strangely accurate caricatures of co-workers and some truly delightful haiku I drafted during a three-hour meeting), but the process of actually deciding what documents are dead enough to be recycled leaves me cold. And there’s certainly no better way to appreciate the excesses of the criminal justice system in this country than to physically carry hundreds upon hundreds of cases the ten floors between offices. I mean, I’m all for due process, but I bet attorneys don’t throw their backs out from lifting in countries with martial law. Plus, I bet bayoneting is really fun.

But at the very least I guess I’m glad to have the change of pace. My view now is of the Sears tower rather than the Metropolitan Correctional Center, which I suppose is an upgrade, since I won’t have to seethe with jealousy as I watch the prisoners enjoy their recreation hour any more. I’m among different co-workers now, allowing for different experiences in backstabbing, rumormongering, and pretending to care. And the rumor is that the offices on this floor feature actual temperature control, which may lessen the number of July days when I get to show off my sterling sweater collection, but will certainly speak well for my happiness and well-being in the long term. And there’s always the possibility that this one little change will set off a chain reaction, leading to other big changes in my life, like fathering Natalie Portman’s children or winning a Daytime Emmy for the role of Dr. Dirk Grayson on All My Children. I’m not saying anything is for certain yet, but at the very least this merits a "wait and see" attitude. So wait, and see.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?