<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, September 17, 2004

The More You Know

There are a lot of things I know that I probably shouldn’t.

For instance, it somehow came out in a conversation at work today (and I defy even Noam Chomsky to explain what linguistic perversion caused it to happen) that I happen to know all the American Sign Language to the Michael W. Smith classic "Friends." This led to a discussion of my illustrious career as a child star of the community theater, an explication of the various insane habits of the overreaching, borderline delusional BFAs who fed me over-the-top line readings and dramatic arm gestures through the years, and, eventually, a demonstration. And yes, my performance killed. But it couldn’t explain away the sad fact that, yes, I know all the American Sign Language to the Michael W. Smith classic "Friends."

I also know some ASL for "From a Distance" by Better Midler and "You Are My Sunshine," but I’m a little rusty. If I ever meet a deaf person who inexplicably likes decades-old pop classics, though, I’m in good shape.

Other shameful knowledge? The life histories and personal aspirations of the cast members of The Golden Girls. The names and major story lines of the girls in the Baby Sitters Club books (Kristy was my favorite). All the combo meals at McDonald’s by heart.

This has all got to be good for something, right?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?