<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, November 12, 2004

Honoring Veterans, One Pair of Chinos at a Time

One of the nicest things about my current employment is the overabundance of days off instigated by federal holidays of which most people are largely unaware. Sleeping until noon is that much more pleasant when you know that practically everyone else in the world is typing largely made-up numbers into spreadsheets or attending meetings about qualitizing the mission statement. And somehow your trip to J.Crew seems that much more sweet when there's no wait for dressing rooms or a larger size on your khakis because most of the population is still cubicle-bound. Secretly I think everyone believes the world would be a much better place if they were the only person in it, and seeing a month-old movie at 2 PM on a workday is probably about as close that experience as a person can get. It definitely has its charms.

Yesterday, therefore, my Veteran's Day holiday was spent entirely foolishly and yet with a sense of smug self satisfaction. I bought some new pants. I watched an old Dawson's Creek. I played The Legend of Zelda for a few hours. I returned a bunch of phone calls, mostly to people who couldn't answer because they were working. I made and ate a sandwich. Nothing was accomplished, really. Which, if you think about it, is more or less The American Way. So hooray for veterans, and hooray for having days off. Now if I can only get the legislature to understand the need to have every other Friday off in honor of me . . .

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?