<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Lifestyles of the Middle Class and Obscure

My life has been astoundingly free from event the past few days, which is exactly the way I can't help but feel it should be. Forgive me, however, if it makes for a less-than-compelling narrative. On the other hand, it's not like typically I'm out hunting renegade spies or canoodling with supermodels, so maybe there won't even be a noticable difference.

I went to the mall with my mom the other day. I bought socks (argyle) and ties (not argyle). She bought a pair of old lady shoes, the kind with the really thick rubber soles and the stated objective of being able to retain one's balance and not break a hip. I didn't run into anyone I knew, which made me feel kind of old and sad. People used to be coming out of the woodwork (okay, the Dairy Queen, but same difference) to harass me in mall. Have I lost my appeal?

Our mall here, by the way, has about six stores, the largest of which is a Christian book store called The Mustard Seed. I think at least two of the others sell fashionable mumus for women "of a certain age."

There have been two lunches with my grandma. I like to visit her for elliptical stories about the forties that have no ostensible point and the good cheese spread she always buys that I can put on Ritz crackers or pretzels, if the mood strikes. Usually I go during The Young & The Restless so she's in a cheerful mood. I see The Young & The Restless (or Y & R, as we insiders call it) about twice a year, and yet I have no problem keeping up on those occasions. Not exactly quick on the plot development, there.

Rhearsals on the big Christmas Eve Concert for The Grandmother (Let's call it CECTG, shall we? I feel like acronyms are fun, suddenly.) are proceeding apace. My sister and I have decided to play one of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos as a viola duet. Don't you wish you were going to be there? Surely you must. And yet seating remains tragically limited.

I am going to go eat some Keebler Frosted Animal Cookies. There was some talk of going to bars again this evening, but it is cold, and the cookies remain a better option.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?