<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Kulture Korner

Last night some of my friends and I went to First Fridays at the Museum of Contemporary Art. It's a pretty great event if you like art or drinking or, like me, both. They have a really nice collection of works that cause people to say things like "My five-year-old could do that" or "That's art? I just don't get it." For those of us who took four semesters of art history for no apparent reason, this is a dream come true. I got to solemnly explain that "Bruce Nauman is challenging the traditional limits of what we view as art" and that "Jeff Koons brings kitsch to the level of high art" while secretly laughing to myself about the fools who paid thousands to install a chest-high pile of candy in an art museum. I mean, you can get it a lot cheaper down at the Mr. Bulky.

Anyway, we had a pretty nice time. They had great appetizers that were supposedly created by Wolfgang Puck, but as my friend Meghan pointed out "looked a whole lot like Tostino's Pizza rolls." They had a bar set up where you had to use tickets to purchase alcohol, which totally took me back to the beer tent and subsequent eventful trip to the bounce house at the St. Anthony's Parish Picnic back in my hometown. And it was amazing people watching -- I have never seen so many individuals with unfortunate hats or distinctive approaches to hair care in my life. The digital matchmaking station did seem to feel that I was some sort of cross between Dick Cheney and a thirteen-year-old girl, but as anyone who's seen The Net with Sandra Bullock can testify, computers are evil, man.

Being one of the cognoscenti is really exhausting, you know that?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?