<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, May 27, 2005

Busy Times

My parents have been in town the past few days; besides the usual trips to second-tier fast food restaurants and historical sites of questionable interest, this has meant a severe lack of free time. I haven't checked e-mail in 36 hours and I was reduced to watching the Lost season finale between the hours of 1 and 3 AM on Thursday. Suffice it to say that, for old folks, Dr. John and Dr. Barb really know how to rave.

So I'm actually somewhat relieved to be checking in at work today, even if I did have a stack of curtly-worded edits and inane interoffice memos about upcoming window washings waiting for me. Normalcy does have an allure all its own, especially when you've spent two days listening to accounts of your parents' teaching triumphs and stories about relatives you don't remember. Bring on the unnecessary staff meetings, people.

But, alas, the next few days hold little save Seventh-Heaven-style family bonding time. Tonight I'm headed back to Quincy, IL, for a three-day weekend in the land of corn and Super Wal-Mart. When I'm not playing Pinochle with my grandmother, I'll probably be shopping for perennials with my mother or debating the latest theories of first language acquisition with my father. If I can take a break from this tragically full schedule, I'll try to post.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?