<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Duress to Impress

For some reason, I feel a strong need for my doctor’s approval. I’m not sure why this is; anybody who types with one finger and decorates his office with old Beetle Bailey strips can’t be that cool, M.D. or no M.D. But I continually find myself going way overboard in an attempt to impress him. For instance, this morning:

Doctor: So, your cholesterol is higher than last time you were in. Have you been exercising?
Jay: Oh yeah. Definitely. I run fifteen miles a day.
Doctor: Really?
Jay: Well, sure, unless I happen to run by a burning building along the way and have to dive in to save some handicapped orphans. Then I might only do ten miles.
Doctor: Well, what about your diet?
Jay: Nothing but oat bran and green vegetables, doc. I think people who eat fried foods should be publicly stoned.
Doctor: Hmmm. I’m going to recommend a psychiatric referral.

And it’s not just the doctor. A few months back I lured my dentist into the web of lies:

Dentist: Have you been flossing regularly?
Jay: Flossing? Oh God yes. You can't stop me. I floss two or three times a day. Two or three times an hour, even. People are beginning to worry about me.
Dentist: Well, good, because flossing is not only good for your gums, but it also prevents heart disease and hurricanes.
Jay: I truly believe that God, if He exists, can be found in a pack of mint-flavored dental tape.
Dentist: It’s highly unorthodox, but I think I’m going to recommend a psychiatric referral here.

And just for good measure, let’s take the trolley to the mechanic’s shop, my own little neighborhood of make believe:

Mechanic: Do you know when you last had this thing serviced?
Jay: Hmmmm. Yeah, that’s tricky. Yesterday, maybe? I’ll have to look at my scrapbook of service records and receipts.
Mechanic: Well, it doesn’t look like the oil’s been changed for some time.
Jay: I can only attribute that to gypsy thieves.
Mechanic: I can’t send you to a psychiatrist, but I can asphyxiate you with exhaust fumes if you don't stop talking.

We’ve all got problems, people. Don’t you judge. Don’t you dare judge.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?