<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Marathon Man

This morning I awoke to the sound of cheers and applause. Unfortunately, this was not an expression of approbation for my athletic yet graceful sleeping style, but rather the sound of the Chicago Marathon happening right behind my building. Thusly roused from a rather pleasant dream where I had my own band and hunted ghosts in my off hours, I decided to throw on some track pants and a hat and see what I could see.

As it turned out, the marathon was a lot like the Today Show. There were a bunch of people standing around holding pieces of poster board and screaming excitedly. There was a camera crew angling to shoot every cute baby and tight-sweatered girl in sight. And there was even a band, although I don't think it was Sheryl Crow or the Black Eyed Peas. I half expected Katie Couric to come out, scream at some crew members, and eat a live puppy. Alas, it was not meant to be.

I'd like to run the marathon some time, but I'm afraid I don't have the attention span for it. Halfway through I'd want to stop for a Slurpee or some used book shopping. Also I haven't run more than ten miles in probably ten years. That might also hold me back. Other than that, though, I'm golden.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?