<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, February 02, 2006

AAO

Have you ever espoused an interest or opinion just because you think it's funny? And have you then gotten so caught up in the pretending that you find you can't stop?

I'm not talking about "comically" pretending to be a neo-Nazi or a Robin Williams fan here; these positions are too incredible to be believed. I'm talking about picking out an unusual subject or person, say macrame or James Earl Jones (or both -- so hot!), and acting as though it is the most important thing in the world to you, outfitting entire rooms of your home in your delightful knotted creations or writing JRS hearts JEJ all over your memo pad during the quarterly meeting. I fully admit this is weird, but I do maintain that it happens, even to people other than me.

The reason I bring this all up is that the other day my coworker and I decided that we were going to pretend that we loved Apolo Anton Ohno, the United States speeds skater perhaps best known for having a mullet and falling down a lot. We jokingly scheduled a soiree in AAO's honor for the night of what will surely be his gold medal skate, and instructed our project assistant to research potential venues and start cutting out photos for an honorary collage. We told said project assistant to get out the glitter pens and make a posted comparing the pros and cons of, say, Chili's and Bennigan's as hosts for our party. We also told him that he must communicate with us about the project solely by email, as we are both incredibly busy and important and cannot be bothered with phone calls. We asked him, for that matter, to please never make direct eye contact with either of us.

It's a good thing he understood we were kidding.

But see what I mean about getting caught up in the fun lie? I hear that's what happened to Tom Cruise.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?