<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, February 17, 2006

Fashion Police

Fridays here at the firm are jeans days, and that's one of the things about this place that I love, along with the sassy switchboard lady and hamburger/hot dog night at the dinner buffet. This means that even if Thursday night has rendered me essentially unable to dress myself, I can throw a fresh coat of Febreeze on whatever I ended up crashing in and head in for some quality billable hours. It's awkward when I occasionally wear in someone else's clothes, but sort of part for the course with whoredom, I suppose.

For others around here, however, casual Friday obviously creates some severe dilemmas. Should they wear their acid-washed jeans tapered or tight rolled? What color fanny pack goes best with a hot pink Garfield t-shirt? This is, after all, a place where the dress code has to explicitly warn people that mesh tops and bicycle pants are not acceptable attire for the office. Personally, I don't think they're acceptable attire for living on this planet.

Some of the senior partners choose simply to ignore the whole thing, wearing the same obscenely expensive yet slightly rumpled suits that their personal shoppers at Nordstrom's gravely instructed them to put on each day. Others pull out the carefully ironed jeans they wore to their Senior Ditch Day in 1974. Of course, whatever they do, they look amazing, because partners at large law firms don't have to follow the same rules as the rest of us. As long as they stop short of the Buffalo Bill skin suit, they can wear whatever they want.

Me, I'm thinking about wearing my swimsuit next week. Just in case a monsoon comes in.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?