<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Adventures in Dining

I am not the world's most adventurous eater. I count among my favorite dishes both macaroni and cheese and sandwiches, and I do not enjoy restaurants where they stuff foods into other foods or purposely set things on fire. Until I was roughly 23, I didn't even like pizza, and I told everyone I met I was allergic to tomatoes so as to avoid being asked to "just give it a try." To me, if God had wanted us to eat raw fish, he would have covered them in chocolate and put them in a box marked "Hostess." So I have never been the biggest sushi fan.

But last night was my friend's birthday party, and she wanted us all to go for sushi, so I gave it another whirl. I tried to stick to mainly cream-cheese-based dishes so as to break myself in gently, but damned if they still didn't insist on sticking cucumber in everything. To me, cucumber is like crunchy water with a slightly bitter aftertaste, and I just don't see the point. The crab tempura was slightly better, as I would probably eat a VHS copy of The Wedding Planner if you deep fried it, but there was still a bit of a tentacle thing going on with it, and I generally don't like to eat anything that could be the villain in a science fiction movie. I actually didn't even know that crabs have tentacles; it could be that they just brought us the wrong dish and I didn't know it.

So the bottom line is that I am probably not moving to Japan any time soon. Although it was still a fairly good night thanks to a lot of cheap champagne. Maybe Totts should merge with the raw fish people.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?