<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, March 31, 2006

Temporarily Yours

This morning my temporary secretary began the day by coming in half an hour late and announcing that she needed to get some coffee because she had a terrible hangover. She disappeared to parts unknown for well over two hours in the middle of the day, and spent most of the time she was actually sitting at her desk reading Us Weekly and playing FreeCell. She also corrected me on my grammar (incorrectly) on three separate occasions.

Good help is so hard to find.

My regular secretary and I have a sort of uneasy truce. She's nice to me and rolls her eyes when I tell her about the ridiculous things my superiors sometimes ask me to do, and I look the other way on the fake sick days and frequent leaving at 4:30. She doesn't do too awful much for me in terms of work, but I'm actually fairly self sufficient as far as those things go. I like making my own copies and I even know how to use the fax machine. When it comes to time entry I'm admittedly a little bit stumped.

But every time I have a temp, it's a very scary thing. Sometimes they're missing teeth or have facial tattoos. They frequently call me by the wrong name or hum loudly at their desks. And sometimes they want to be my very, very best friend, in a Single White Female sort of way.

I hope my regular secretary gets over her scabies soon.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?