<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 08, 2006

God Talk

This weekend was Buddha's birthday. Did you know that? Also Bob Seger's and George Clooney's, but I'm guessing you didn't get any of them presents. Of course, Buddha accepts the fact that you once again failed to buy him aqua socks, but I'm pretty sure Clooney's going to kick your ass. He did it to Teri Hatcher. And she's 95% plastic.

Anyway, the point is that I got to go to a celebration of Buddha's birthday this weekend! And rather than a sheet cake from Jewel and a rousing round of pin the tail on the donkey (although there were some pointy hats involved), it was a somewhat meaningful event. There was a vegan dinner, where I learned that tofu just tastes soggy to me but that chocolate doesn't harm any animals, a bunch of meditation (I only thought about Tiara Girls part of the time), and a full program of music and readings by people who probably think of themselves as very postmodern when in fact they are just unwashed and irritating. Plus, I learned that they have Christian rock in Buddhism, too! Apparently something about religion just attracts the Creed chord patterns.

I have to admit that I've been thinking about shopping around on religions lately. This is not to say that I'm through with Jesus; I like his sandals a lot and it's fun that he turns water into wine, and not vice versa. But lately I've realized that I've devoted more analysis to Jessica Simpson's plastic surgeries than to the little matter of what exactly it is that I believe. Because even though I'm pretty sure that I don't believe the business about birth control sending you straight to hell and that I do believe that some benevolent force created Comedy Central and Hot Pockets, there's a lot of gray area in between I'd kind of like to fill in.

I should be able to iron everything out in a couple of hours, right?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?