<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Inevitable Letdown

So as far as the big high school reunion goes I have next to nothing to report. I didn't get drunk and belligerent and pick a fight, I didn't go home with someone and call them by the wrong name the next morning, and I didn't make horribly inappropriate comments about people's spouses and/or children. I just had some toasted ravioli and some beer and chatted pleasantly with what turned out to be a room full of old people like myself. Mortgages and furniture were common topics. And to think I used to drink in a field with these people!

It was really just, all in all, quite pleasant. The people that I liked best in high school all turned out really well, even if the odds didn't exactly seem to be in their favor. They stopped trying to get high off of paint fumes or fixating over who would be the lead in the musical and got jobs and interests and support networks. They lost weight or got amazing haircuts. Or they went somewhere crazy and random for a few years and got some great stories to tell. They just sort of came into their own.

And yes, of course there were people who gained weight or found out that being captain of the wrestling team doesn't necessarily mean that you're set for life, but even they somehow seemed to be in good places in their lives. They had families, cover bands, car audio stores. Some of them even knew the bartenders.

Not that there's anything particularly entertaining for all of you about any of that.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?