<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Radio Days

This morning on my way to church (I drive even though it's like six blocks away, because I'm a proud American) I heard this amazing ad on the radio. In it, a couple decided to purchase a condominium sight unseen based on the fact that the female kept spelling the name of the development in song. Although the male was skeptical at first, he was won over by his lady friend's description of the "unique design" and "great amenities," as well as her strong and melodic spelling. The commercial ended with him declaring that he was "in." Another victory for commerce, I suppose.

I actually used to write radio commercials for a station I worked at back in college, and I've always loved the absurd logic that applies only to them. People frequently make major life decisions within the course of a fake thirty second dialogue with a friend, as in "Wow, it sounds like Greenfield Community College has everything. I'm going to go sign up today!" Similarly, these fake dialogues feature people launching without hesitation into discussion of the intimate details of their lives, such as "No, I haven't been able to get pregnant yet, even though Tom and I have been trying for over a year now." There may well be jaunty-sounding music playing behind these dramatic conversations. And everyone has an odd habit of stating the full name of the product or service being discussed repeatedly.

My personal top accomplishment in this area was probably the series of spots I wrote for a women's clothier, where I had to feelingly describe the merits of flowered mumus and support hose. I have to quite honestly say that the fashion world was probably changed forever.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?