<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

World Cinema

I finally saw Volver this weekend. I'm kind of a fan of foreign language films because they allow me to live my lifelong dream of reading in a movie theater. I especially enjoy Spanish-language films because they are frequently dirty. This allows me to sit in the dark and look at people's naughty bits while still basking in the glow of my own cultural prowess. You don't get that from Cars, let me tell you.

So anyway, Volver was pretty good. The visuals were a little more muted than I'm used to from Almodovar (apologies for not having a little accent mark to deploy above the second o), but I thought the story was interesting and the acting fairly compelling. It was probably the first time I've ever seen Penelope Cruz on the screen without wishing her physical harm. But it really makes a difference when she's actually able to speak the language without sounding like she's eating a battery.

Next I want to see Pan's Labyrinth. I'm hoping it's just like the original Labyrinth, but with less David Bowie. These days you wouldn't be able to tell him apart from the puppets.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?