<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

File Under "Omens, Good"

My work day today began when the elevator I was in stopped about halfway between two floors and refused to either budge any further or open its doors wide enough to allow even Nicole Richie to climb out. (Not that she was there; to be trapped in an elevator with Nicole Richie would undoubtedly be a dream come true for any living, feeling human.) Luckily, this particular elevator was filled with technological savants who came up with the ingenious solution of alternately pressing the door open, door close, and emergency call buttons as though the panel was some enormous game of Simon. The end result of this maneuver was a surly voice-over from what I can only assume was America's Next Top Elevator Operator.

"What's your problem?" the voice demanded, undoubtedly unhappy to be roused from his book of Sudoku.

"Um, we're trapped in this elevator," some passenger meekly suggested. "It won't move, and the doors won't open."

"Uh huh. Well, I don't know what to tell you," the voice said reassuringly. "It was working earlier this morning."

"Okay," came the reply. "But we're still kind of stuck in here, I swear."

"All right, I'll see what I can do."

At which point the elevator suddenly dropped about four floors.

Once the doors were opened, I simply thanked the surly voice and made the rest of my upward journey via the stairs.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?