<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

It Takes a Toll

One of the really awesome things about constantly traveling for work is that you get to enjoy America's toll roads. For anyone who firmly believes that a trip to Iowa is worth six dollars in coins, this is great news. Also for people who enjoy surly or comatose government employees. Just as an example, last week I was driving through the blinding snow along I-88, as I like to do occasionally, when I encountered a toll plaza. Curbing my natural instincts to crash through the motorized gate and do donuts across all six lanes of traffic, I slowed down and prepared to fork over an amusing assemblage of nickels and dimes. As I did so, however, I accidentally bumped my front wheel against the curb, causing a little bit of a crunching noise.

"Jesus Christ, you scared the crap out of me!" screamed the female linebacker manning the toll booth.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said.

"I thought you might be a terrorist, coming to take me out."

Though it seemed unlikely to me that toll plazas would be at the top of any self-respecting extremist's list, I decided not to turn this into the McLaughlin group and just handed over my change.

"Yup, I just hit the curb there. Sorry."

"I mean, who are you, Alladin Abu al Jafaar?" she queried. "Seriously, you got to be careful."

"Right," I said, just counting the minutes until I was freed from my mechanized prison.

"Wait a minute," came the reply. "I think you gave me ten cents too much. Hold on a sec."

"Really, it's fine," I said. "It doesn't matter to me."

"Well, lah dee dah, mister millionaire. You just go right on ahead then."

Which I did. But I will never forget my friends back at the DeKalb toll plaza.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?