<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 11, 2007

On the Record

There are impulse purchases, and then there are impulse purchases. For instance, Roommate Liz and I went to Target today and randomly ended up buying 1) a fuzzy rabbit headband, 2) a tiny neon flashlight, and 3) a 36-pack of Target brand toilet paper. But none of these even begin to compare to the Greatest Impulse Purchase of All Time, which I made online earlier this week:

Yes, I have purchased a suitcase record player. No, it isn't 1957, and there is nary a sock hop in sight. I didn't, in fact, even have any records in my possession at the time I purchased this fine item. But I really like what I collectively refer to as "that old timey music," and I wanted to get to be that guy who buys fun records for a dollar each at the secondhand store. So after consulting heavily with my paralegal and project assistant (both of whom seemed really thrilled to be employing their advanced legal skills on such a task), I decided to go with the Traveller here, which the website says "provides music lovers with a sense of independence." It feels so good to finally be free.

I also made a trip to the Brown Elephant this weekend for albums. Although the selection there had a strangely heavy preponderance of Barbra Streisand and Judy Collins albums (and even a few that were just covers with no actually records inside), I managed to find no less than four recordings I really felt I could no longer do without, though I never even knew they existed. I even got myself the Charlie Brown Christmas album so I'm armed and ready for some serious merriness next year. It's going to be the Year of the Turntable; you can mark my words.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?