<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The More Things Change...

So I just finished rereading The Westing Game. I'm not sure if anybody else remembers this book from their childhood, but it's totally awesome! It's about a wily old millionaire who creates a puzzle in his will and selects an ethnically and socially diverse group of lovable characters to compete for his inheritance. They all make important discoveries about themselves, each other, and yes, even our great country along the way. I even cried a little bit at the end, although that may have been the stench from the el.

Not everything I've revisited from my childhood has turned out quite so well, however. As it turns out, the Value Tales series is a little bit preachy and boring when you're not eight years old and delighted by Thomas Edison's talking light bulb pal. On repeat viewings, it turns out the Gumby and Friends series has some rather flat dialogue and is a bit lacking in genuine character development. And now that I'm 29, I have to say that connect the dot puzzles seem a little bit simpler than I had initially imagined.

One thing's for sure, though -- The Great Muppet Caper is amazing at any age!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?