<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Like a Broken Record

At the risk of becoming irritating, I must repeat my affection for my new(ish) record player. Today I spent $7.53 and got Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Debussy, Copland, Sondheim, a Spanish guitar record, and the soundtrack to The Big Chill. Sure, the goodwill store was approximately 183 degrees and smelled like someone had died there, but that was a small price to pay for such quality culture. I can feel my brain swelling from all the smarts I've obtained. Or an aneurysm maybe, it's hard to tell.

I also went to Ravinia tonight to make sure to lock in my cultural superiority. It was an all-Beethoven program (he went deaf, you know) and some really quality stuff. Plus I ate about a pound of cheese. And I got to watch old people pretend to conduct the music or play air violin while they listened. Or maybe they were suffering from tremors, it's hard to tell.

Oh, and I watched Dr. Strangelove for the first time last night. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, because generally older comedies just remind me that what people find funny changes a lot over the years. But it held my attention the whole time, despite being in black and white and wholly lacking any crotch mishap gags. I am getting so smart now it's going to be hard to know what to do with myself. Or maybe I'm just more in denial, it's hard to tell.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?