<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Storm of the Century

Thursday night there was a bit of a storm here in Chicago. This led to the following phone call from my sister:

"Oh my God, Jay, I think a tree fell on my car. This tree fell down across the street and I think it's on top of my car. Oh fuck, I have to go out and check. Let me call you back."

When she hadn't called back after 45 minutes, I decided to give her a ring.

"Oh yeah," she said. "My car is fine. It didn't fall on my car. But it was close."

My neighbors' response to the tree crisis was to go out and take pictures of the tree with their camera phones. The city came at 10:30 last night to saw off the limbs and take them away.

Thank God we're so focused on emergency preparedness. I've never felt more safe.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?