<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bar Examination

So lately I've been doing a lot of things in bars other than drinking until I heave. Maybe it's another sign of age, I don't know, but suddenly a special on jagerbombs isn't the primary thing I look for in choosing a boozing establishment. For instance, last night we went a bar that had a full evening of bingo set up, complete with craptastic prizes like can coozies and Coors Lite t-shirts. I have to admit that I very quickly lost interest in actually marking off my cards and focused more on the people watching aspect, which did not disappoint. There were people there who honest to God screamed or giggled with glee each time one of their numbers came up. There were others who failed to understand what I had previously thought were the fairly simple rules of bingo. And then there was the bingo caller for the evening, who obviously viewed this as his audition to become a morning-drive-time radio DJ. Between macking on unsuspecting prize seekers and finding the space labeled "O 69" endlessly hilarious, he barely found time to turn the crank on the little ball tumbler.

And last week we partook in a little pub quiz at a local establishment, which was totally fun because 1) I'm a genius and I didn't even know it and 2) I like being insanely competitive with others over things that don't even matter. There were seven rounds of the quiz, which featured categories like "big business," "movie quotes," and my favorite of all, "general knowledge." There was even an opportunity to win a skillet cookie, which I only later realized could easily have been purchased for less than it cost me to enter the pub quiz. But still, who can put a price on knowledge?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?