<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Great Shakes

I saw The Comedy of Errors at Chicago Shakespeare Theater last night. This meant that I drove to Navy Pier with my parents, which was certainly not without incident. A seagull pooped on my mom's head and then she slipped on a rock and fell right over on the pavement. I believe the police officer who helped her thought she was on drugs. I had some uncertainty myself.

But the show itself was amazing. I honestly thought I might hate it because they did cute things like setting it in the '40s and adding a new frame story, which typically I despise. (I'm looking at you, Baz Luhrmann.) I have to admit that it worked, though, primarily because Comedy of Errors isn't already four hours long and has a frame story of its own that this could graft onto. Plus the performances were unbelievably great. They always manage to make even some of the lazier passages vivid and contemporary. Although their restrooms get a thumbs down for having only two stalls.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?