<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

How I Spent My Secretary's Summer Vacation

My secretary is on vacation for two weeks. In the meantime, I have possibly the most terrifying floater secretary of all time. We'll call him Terry, to protect the innocent, by which I mean me.

My introduction to Terry came when I emerged from my office one morning to find him standing at Lisa's desk in a pair of rubber gloves, disinfecting everything in sight. As I've never known Lisa to lick her keyboard, I was slightly surprised, but decided to roll with it. As the day progressed, however, I found that Terry likes to ask me for permission to do everything. I mean everything. He knocks on my door to ask if it's okay for him to go get a cup of coffee. He phones me before he heads to the bathroom. I know way more about Terry's digestive schedule than anyone really should.

Terry also calls me Steve, for some reason, and refers to my colleague Erinn as "sir."

Yesterday at 9:30 Terry came into my office unannounced and asked, simply, "Didja hear about the Bennigans?" I had not. But you can be he filled me in. And also shared some of his unconventional economic theory. I can't help but think there's a cabinet post in his future.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?