<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Memory Lane

I went back to Champaign for recruiting yesterday. It's always interesting to see how much a place like that can change in just a few short years. They have a Flattop Grill now and a huge Urban Outfitters in the middle of Green Street; it's essentially turned into Bucktown. Several of my favorite bars have now closed and others equally dank and/or ridiculous have opened in their places. They even found something to fill the spot where there used to be an abandoned Wendy's.

We stayed at the student union, which was interesting. The check-in girl was a delightful little gal who freaked out about absolutely everything, from where we should park to which elevators we should take to our rooms. My room had an honest-to-god vanity table in it, which I very much enjoyed posing at as though I were in a Degas. The bed was somewhere between limestone and shale, I believe. And there was a free continental breakfast that resulted in a bagel fracas that nearly cost me my life.

I am definitely relieved to be back. It turns out I'm just not cut out for the high life any more.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?