<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, October 27, 2008

The Exorcist

Yesterday The Exorcism of Emily Rose was on television. I'd never seen it before, but it being nearly Halloween and there being nothing else in particular to do, I decided to give it a shot. It's a borderline-hilarious tale about the love affair between a college co-ed and the five demons who live inside of her. Tom Wilkinson stars as the priest who conducts the exorcism and acts kind of noodgey and crazy in the way that Tom Wilkinson often does. Laura Linney stars as his attorney, who wears way too much eye makeup and is alleged to be an alcoholic whenever it's convenient to the plot. There are some great lines that illustrate how Deep and Spiritual this all is, and some awesome parts where the possessed girl eats bugs and jumps out windows and stuff. All in all it's a pretty hot hit.

But the real show came last night when, upon coming home to my big, dark, empty condo, I became convinced that I was going to become possessed. Certain that demons in fact hide behind your credenza until they can seize control of your body, I checked every room in the house before bed. Finding nothing, I decided that the best way to stave off bodily intruders was probably to leave the Lifetime Movie Network running all night. (It would certainly scare me away.) I also found the tiny copy of the New Testament the Gideons gave to us in fourth grade and positioned it strategically near my bed.

Laugh if you want, but clearly my plan worked. I haven't eaten a single bug today.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?