<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 13, 2009

On the Aisle

In all the excitement of my big star gaze this weekend I guess I forgot to mention that I saw Julie & Julia. It was pretty neat. I have to admit that I have a hard time with the whole concept of bloggers becoming famous (although if they ever make a movie of this I want Tyne Daly to play me), but Amy Adams made the Julie character about as palatable (har har) as she could possibly be. The plot of her segment of the movie seems pretty much to be that having a job is a drag and it's much more fun to make awesome dinners and obsess about it. That was also the plot of Persona, as I recall. But anyway, the Meryl portion of the movie is really almost delightful enough to make one forgive her for warbling Waterloo last summer. I'm not old enough to really remember Julia Child (though I am old enough to remember Julia Sugarbaker, which almost makes up for it), but it seemed to me that she got the voice and mannerisms pretty much exactly down. Plus it's really nice to see all the recreations of Paris in the 1940s and 50s, back when it was a film set for Gene Kelly movies as opposed to G.I. Joe.

Everyone said this movie would make me hungry, but it didn't, really. Now a movie about Chili's? That would make me hungry.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?