<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 07, 2009

Today's Extra Value Item of the Week? Awkwardness

Today at Jewel the cashier put out the call for a 21 year old to scan my purchase of Caffeine Free Diet Coke. It was a very odd situation. I mean, first of all, I have a hard time even remembering that there are people under 21 in the world. Sure, I had my days of sneaking Zima into a friend's basement and throwing up all over somone's mom's Precious Moments, but after ten years of legal drinking my frame of reference has shifted somewhat. But somewhat more obviously, Caffeine Free Diet Coke is not a controlled substance, right? It completely should be given that it's lure is more powerful to me even than that of Youtube videos of people falling down, but Congress has yet to recognize this light brown menace. So I had to point this out to the cashier, who was duly embarrassed. Which in turn embarrassed me, since frankly I really ought to be buying something cooler than unleaded soft drinks and Reduced Fat Wheat Thins. It's so tempting to read one's grocery cart as a metaphor for one's life.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?