<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, January 29, 2010

Bittersweet Symphony

Did I mention that I went to the symphony last weekend? It was Pierre Boulez conducting one of his own pieces, a Bartok, and a Stravinsky. I have to admit that I am not all that familiar with Boulez, having lost interest about 3/4 of the way through 20th Century Musics in college, but apparently he is very old and very well known in classical music circles, sort of like the Madonna of the fine arts. He was certainly rather adorable with his little wrinkly Frenchness, what with all the bowing and smiling and waving and all. His piece, on the other hand, I was not completely nuts about, as it was one of those serial jobs that sort of sounds like somebody left a bunch of radios on. But the Bartok was rather amazing, as it featured percussion, which I what I told the music director I wanted to play at the meeting in fourth grade where I ended up playing the violin. And I'm always down for some Stravinsky, even when the horn player seems like he just might be dying during the solo that opens the final section. I would have dialed 911, but I had to have my phone turned off for the performance.

I do need to get cultural more often this year. Preferably cultural and drunk. I'm just way more awesome that way.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?