<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rebalution

I can't believe that I am about to type these words, but I have started watching Reba in the mornings as I get ready for work. And what's worse, I can't even tell whether I'm enjoying it ironically or not. All I know is I love that damned little redheaded moptop.

Actually, I've had a secret fondness for Reba (the individual, not the delightful WB entertainment) for years. Who didn't love the ridiculous over-the-top awfulness of her classic duet/caftan fashion show "Does He Love You?" Or the incredible high-waisted fashions of her "Why Haven't I Heard from You?" Or her later duet with Kelly Clarkson, wherein they both pretended to be '40s torch singers (or in Kelly's case, someone who ate a '40s torch singer)? The brutal unnecessariness of it all is what makes it so wonderful, let's be honest.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Tremors. I never worried that Reba would get eaten by the giant underground worm monster, because there was no way that thing could keep so much Aquanet down.

But anyway, Reba the television program. The theme song announces that Reba's character (Reba) is "a single mom who works too hard," although in the twenty or so episodes I've now seen, I still have not managed to discern what Reba's job is. (It also announces that she "loves her kids," but as to the misbegotten redhead, that seems unlikely.) Much of the time it seems as though the director announced a contest for which actor could make the craziest, most unnatural face. Most of the plots center around silly misunderstandings, like the time someone thought Reba was a lesbian, heaven forbid. Oh, and there are child actors.

And yet I can't look away.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?