<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, February 19, 2010

Whiteout

I have to admit I'm having a certain amount of difficulty understanding the whole Shaun White phenomenon. I mean, okay, he's very good at riding around on a little board and doing flips and stuff. But it's not like he invented the board or the snow or the laws of physics or anything. And I find his personal presence to be rather offputting. He's like a more awkward version of Carrot Top. In fact, he's not even as buff as Carrot Top, ever since the steroids. Also not as frightening, I suppose. But that's not the point! The point is I don't get it.

He has his own clothing line at Target. Who gets up in the morning and thinks, hey, I want to dress like that goofy, longhaired snowboarder?

He has an endorsement deal with HP. Is there some digital aspect to snowboarding I am missing? I wouldn't buy a snowboard from Bill Gates.

At least he didn't fall over like most of the U.S. female snowboarders, though. That was embarrassing. I thought one or two of them were in danger of leaving their faces behind on the halfpipe.

Halfpipe. How funny. I get the sense that Shaun White is going for the whole pipe, if you know what I mean.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?