<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pier Review

I think I've posted about the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre on here several times now. It's the one on Navy Pier, in between the Ferris wheel and the puffy painted sweatshirt stand. I guess there wasn't a suitable space at the Mall of America. But anyway, I've seen several excellent shows there now. Last night it was The Taming of the Shrew, or as I like to call it, old timey 10 Things I Hate About You.

There were definitely some things about it I didn't love--offputtingly large codpieces, excessively precise diction that produced occasional spit bombs, bizarre contemporary frame story with lesbians--but for the most part it was fantastic. The acting was so good it made Kate Winslet look like Raven Symone, and the staging was really dynamic and interesting such that I barely spaced out at all, even after a ten-hour work day. Oh, and there was a cute dog, which is always a plus.

I do think it's kind of funny how much time they spent apologizing for the misogyny in the program notes, as though people don't understand that the Elizabethan era wasn't exactly the most progressive out there. It's like lamenting the fact that people back then wore funny pants. I mean, next they'll be telling us that A Midsummer Night's Dream isn't a documentary. Lord, what fools these mortals be.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?