<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Reading Rainbow

I just finished reading Lauren Conrad's magnum opus, L.A. Candy. I'm not going to lie and pretend it wasn't fully enjoyable, although my fun was diminished somewhat by the fact that I was embarrassed to be seen in public holding it. It's pretty much 100% plot, and it ends with a cliffhanger, so now I fear I may have to read the next book as well. The characters are stock, the writing is clunky, and the scenarios are absurd, but there's definitely something to be said for a book you can finish in the five minute intervals between brushing your teeth and falling asleep. And there was special bonus material in the back -- pictures of the book tour!

A Tale of Two Cities has been my read-in-public choice during this period. Obviously there are a lot of similarities between the two. Both deal with complex issues of class and politics, and I'm pretty sure that Dickens had his own clothing line. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten very far into the Dickens yet, since the print isn't quite as large and there aren't chapter breaks every three pages. I am enjoying it, though.

I am also way behind on magazines, which is causing some consternation. I'm still working on the New Yorker from three weeks ago, and I haven't even cracked the Vanity Fairs on Tiger's mistresses, which I've been saving for a while and is obviously some very challenging material. Maybe I should just quit my job and read Entertainment Weeklies full time for a while.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?