<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 03, 2010

The Return of the King

I've long had a strange aversion to Stephen King. I think some of it stems from the fact that, as a child, I was traumatized by his "READ" poster at the local library, which featured what was, by '80s five-year-old standards, a very realistic skeleton. Some of it can also probably be attributed to the fact that most of my friends were reading him when I was transitioning from Ramona Quimby to Virginia Woolf (less of a transition than one might think), which made me feel somewhat left out, since I knew I could never be caught with one of his books in my household. Most of it is probably due to his column in Entertainment Weekly, though. If I wanted an old person to hector me about what music I should be listening to, I would just go visit my grandmother.

But anyway, I decided to actually read a Stephen King novel, to either put those negative feelings to rest or prove to myself that they were justified all along. Unfortunately, the result ended up being somewhere in between. I read Bag Of Bones, and found it to actually be rather decently written, if not exactly the page turner I had expected. There certainly wasn't the volume of laughably clunky sentences one gets with a Dan Brown or a John Grisham, but there were also long passages just sort of describing life in small town Maine. I had thought it might read like a Twilight novel for grown ups, but it was actually rather thoughtful and complex. At the same time, I had expected that I wouldn't be able to put it down, but I ended up putting it down many, many times. Stephen King, you are a mystery.

The real pisser in all of this is that I think I'm going to have to read another one. Is there one that Oprah endorsed? That would seem all but certain to end badly.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?