<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 16, 2010

Karted Away: by Guest Blogger Sister Meg

As any regular reader of this blog knows, Jay purchased a Wii this year. Being Jay's roommate, I understand the allure of this magical device. I once thought my gaming days were behind me, swept away along with my lonely junior high days as a mathlete. But once I learned that I could spend my Saturday flicking three-pointers over the heads of avatars with names and visages that are strange even for the Japanese, I was hooked. Bring on the karaoke revolutions, the sports resorts, and the minor, inexplicable Mario characters (Toadette, anyone?).

But now, I fear, the Wii has spurred a disease: Jay has contracted a late-stage, possibly incurable addiction to Mario Kart. As a trained ethnographer, I believe it my duty to describe this disease and alert the public to its warning signs.

Sign #1: Kart Idolatry. Upon returning home from a hard day's work, Jay frequently reports that he MUST play Mario Kart. Not wants to, but must. Why? Because if you beat all the levels of the game, you get to...wait for it...play all the levels of the game in reverse. That's right...the prize for beating the game is that you get to replay the game. Then, when you beat that, you get to unlock more things that...wait for it...allow you to keep playing the game with different characters and cars. Although many other Wii games are structured like this, Jay only answers to the call of Mario Kart. I can only assume that this game has become some sort of idol for Jay, and he desperately seeks its approval.

Sign #2: Wii/Self-Loathing. When playing the Kart, Jay is often heard to remark, "I hate this game so much," or some other vitriolic hyperbole like "I suck," simply for the crime of being hit by a red shell. It's like I start the day with my generally sweet-natured brother, and end the day with Tiger Woods after a crooked shot.

Sign #3: Intense Interest in the Mundane. Maybe it's my long commute to work, but I simply don't share the same level of interest in playing a game that allows you to do something every person in the country does every day. I mean, my commute doesn't usually involve bumping Baby Peach's "Tiny Titan" into a fiery lake...but, seriously, there are Wii games where you get to hit people off a podium with a jousting stick and sing Taylor Swift's Love Story at the top of your lungs...how is that not way more fun?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?