<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Montauk Monster

My friend is getting married in Montauk this weekend. In my view, of course, everyone ought to get married in Chicago, preferably no more than three blocks from my home. But I have been particularly crabby about so-called "destination weddings," when people get married in places where neither they nor anyone they know is from under the pretense of fun, exotic good times. I tend to see them as a pretense to just get people to send a check. Which I frequently just do.

But I have to admit that Montauk is really pretty great. It's beautiful and has a quaint, old-timey feel. The wedding hotel is literally right out on the water, and I even have a porch with a hammock where I can lie out and read the Spin magazine randomly provided in each room. The weather hasn't even been that good and it's still just lovely. I don't like paying $10 for a tiny tube of toothpaste, but I guess I should have thought of that before I brought too big a tube and had to throw it out at airport security.

Speaking of which, getting out yesterday morning was something of a nightmare. We had a chatty cathy next to us on the plane who did not seem to understand that when people are giving you one word answers to your many probing questions (or jamming headphones into their ears) they do not really wish to converse. Then the rental car place turned out to be the center of all activity on the East coast and we had to wait forever to get our Dodge Charger. I got in a fight with the GPS, which kept trying to get me to get off the highway for no reason, and almost rammed into a semi while trying to get to the Burger King drive-through. The BK Double Stacker was totally worth it, though.

Anyway, wedding today and back to LGA-ORD tomorrow. Such an action packed weekend!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?