<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, November 19, 2010

The End

My sister and I watched 2012 last night. The whole theory was that it would be campy and amusing. Funny how theories like that frequently fail to pan out. Man, how could they make buildings falling over and things exploding so boring? Probably by injecting healthy doses of Amanda Peet. (I mean, if they wanted to make a disaster movie, couldn't they just film her career trajectory?) There was a lot, lot, lot of exposition, and all sorts of touches designed to humanize the characters so you would feel bad when they got, say, crushed in some giant gears. We ended up watching long stretches on fast forward. Suffice it to say that if I wanted to see Thandie Newton give impassioned speeches, I would... oh wait, that would never happen.

Anyway, I learned a lot from the movie, such as that it is possible to drive faster than an earthquake and fly faster than a volcanic eruption. Take that, mother nature. I also learned that the Chinese have the capacity to build giant secret boats inside a mountain (much like a Bond villain) and that facing near annihilation is a good way to rekindle a relationship. Oh, and that crises tend to bring out a remarkable degree of racial and cultural diversity. Which is good, because I for one think it is high time to have an Apocalypse that looks like America.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?