<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Young & Old

I saw "Sweet Bird of Youth" performed here in Chicago the other night. It was pretty good. I have to admit that I'm not the biggest fan of Tennessee Williams for a variety of not especially great reasons. First, my mother took me to see our neighbor in Glass Menagerie when I was like seven and I thereafter became terrified that this woman was going to come over to our house and scream at us about gentlemen callers. Second, I took an acting class once where everyone had to perform Tennessee Williams monologues, and the interpretations presented by bored housewives and semiliterate teenagers are difficult to forget. Finally, I guess I'm just not a huge lover of disfunction. I mean, sure, I love it in life, but in art? The love triangles on Hellcats are even too intense for me.

Anyway, I enjoyed the production. The two leads were both good and played well off of each other. The rest of the cast was a bit uneven, but I think it's probably hard to figure out what to do when you're essentially playing Southern Grotesque Four.

The weekend has also been pretty good. I went out with some work people on Friday, which I haven't done in many many months. It was fairly enjoyable, if somewhat unlikely to convince me to repeat the process sooner than in many many months. Yesterday I got a massage, which was actually relaxing once I got past the fear that someone was going to try to touch my weiner, and went to visit some friends in the suburbs. Alas, there was no Olive Garden, but I suppose I have to save something for future visits. All of this excitement is giving me vapors.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?