<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

At the Movies

I also saw The Kids Are All Right this weekend. I had resisted it this summer because it seemed just a bit too quirky and cute for my tastes (sort of like Jenna Elfman), but the year having ended without a great preponderance of movies I thought I wanted to see, I reconsidered. It turns out I was right the first time. The basic problem was that I sort of despised all of the characters, right down the the children themselves. (But excepting, of course, the character played by former Top Model contestant YaYa DeCosta.) There was a lot of fighting and sniping involved, which doesn't exactly endear. And lots of completely unnecessary graphic sex, which sort of threw me. Is there some rule that Julianne Moore has to take her clothes off in any movie she's in?

I do support Annette Bening for the Oscar, however, mainly because anyone who has lost twice to Hilary Swank deserves some sort of cosmic compensation. And being married to Warren Beatty doesn't really cut it. Plus, front runner Natalie Portman really just sort of trembled and cried for the first hour and a half before screaming her way through the last half hour. I mean, I think she's a nice gal and all and I root for her the way America once rooted for Brooke Shields in Grease, but I just don't think she deserves the hardware. Unless those were her real toenails splitting in half in that movie. That shows some real conviction.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?