<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Mouse Hunt

So during lunch with my grandmother yesterday, my sister suddenly let forth a little shriek, and not because she was fed up with discussing the plotlines on The Young & the Restless and the various personal deficiencies of home health care workers. It was because she saw a mouse running across the kitchen floor. Initially she described the mouse as "really big," but ultimately it turned out to be about an inch in length. It was rather fearless, however, as it kept not only racing across the kitchen floor, but making trips from behind the refrigerator to directly behind my grandmother's chair. And then of course it took up residence directly beneath my grandmother's chair.

I have to say I'm not proud of the way we reacted. After chastising my sister for alarming my grandmother with her reaction, I myself let out a bloodcurdling scream. Then we both jumped up from our seats and grabbed weapons -- a broom in my sister's case, and my grandmother's cane in mine, although I have no idea what I would do to a mouse with a cane, besides terrifying it with a reprise of the QHS show choir in 1995. We both took positions across the room staring at the offending mouse, along with my grandmother, of course, who had remained completely calm throughout the incident. In fact, she tried to get up so she could go after the mouse herself.

Anyway, my father set up a series of traps for the tiny mouse, and it has since been appropriately dealt with. But let us not forget on this Memorial Day to honor those who served in the terrifying Mouse Wars of 2011.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?