<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Talk

For some reason, strangers frequently feel the need to speak to me randomly. I am often stopped by tourists who need directions, and half the time I even send them the right way. Of course panhandlers love me, even though I have now mastered the art of walking with purpose and avoiding eye contact. And sometimes people in the waiting room at the doctor's office start telling me all about their medical histories, despite my sincere efforts to demonstrate my complete and total lack of interest. I guess I have a face that says "I'm listening" even when my lips are saying "go to hell."

Anyway, I mention this because it happened twice today. First, at church, the guy in front of us turned around at told my sister and me that we had beautiful singing voices and should perform for a living. Of course we are quitting our jobs and following his advice, but I find it odd that it was offered in the first place, much less with a side of the body of Christ. And then at my sister's pool, a woman of a certain age tried three or four times to engage me in conversation about the issue of People she was reading. But I just don't have that much to say about the weight loss strategies of minor celebrities. I guess I will just have to study up for next time.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?