<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, December 27, 2011


The Holiday

How can I sum up my holiday in Quincy? I don't think that I really can. Words cannot express, for instance, the joy of running into one's former high school teacher in the home furnishings section of the TJ Maxx. Nor can they fully convey the beauty of an off-key rendition of The Little Drummer Boy performed by a large angry lady who has honest-to-God named her firstborn child Palin. And the Pizza Hut buffet? Clearly indescribable.

I can tell you, however, about the amazing morning I spent with my parents freaking out about my laptop power cord. I casually observed that it didn't appear to be channeling electricity into my laptop, at which point we went into a full-on code red situation that resulted in no less than two trips to Best Buy and the straightfaced suggestion that perhaps I should just buy a new laptop as opposed to a new cord. My parents argued over whether my dad should just have his friend Steve look at my laptop and then segued into an explanation of how they "know someone" at Best Buy so we won't "get taken advantage of." Then, when I eventually just found a sane person at Best Buy who sold me the right power cord, I was cross examined as to whether this really provided a sound solution to the problem. Not to spoil the ending for you, but I'm typing on the laptop right now.

Also, we saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie. It was all right. I'm still not quite sure why Noomi Rapace was there, but that's probably going to be true of a lot of things. Also it was about two and a half hours. I'll say it right now: nothing should ever be two and a half hours. Except for Titanic 3D, of course. It can be two and a half days as far as I'm concerned; my heart will go on.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?