<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Capitol Steps

Just got back from my work trip to Springfield. This was one of my first trips to Springfield that didn't consist solely of a stop at the Bigfoot near the interstate to pee and buy a Watchamacalit. Not counting middle school field trips, of course. Although I can still remember my visit to the Illinois State Museum like it was yesterday because one of my classmates got his shoelace stuck in the escalator and, as they say, "ruined it for the rest of us." I also have vague recollections of Lincoln's Tomb, which mainly disappointed me by not being haunted. What good is a tomb that doesn't even draw forth the undead?

Anyway, this trip was far more professional in nature. I went to the Illinois Supreme Court for the first time, which is actually quite a lovely place. It's all old timey and ornate, with lots of carved wood and frescoes of pale ladies in flowy dresses. One of them was clearly supposed to be Lady Justice, but I think the rest were just her entourage. I also went by the Springfield branch of my office, which was a fascinating study in the comparative cost of square footage in the two cities. In Springfield they would use my office as a place to store toner.

Also, the rental car was amazing. Since there were several of us, they gave us a minivan. There were cupholders everywhere. And you could double click a button to make the tailgate lift up. I don't know that I've ever felt so alive.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?