<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Little Bit Country

So as I'm sure everyone in the world knows, the Reba program has moved to CMT. This means that if I want to get my daily dose of half-hearted puns and enormous facial expressions, I must pursue it on a network that, prior to now, I did not know I got. (At least until Reba's new sitcom, Malibu Country, premieres on ABC and, most likely, lasts a total of three weeks.) It does seem like a good home for my Reba, as everyone seems to have big hair and farcical accents. But it's also like a whole world I never knew existed.

They have a show called "World's Strictest Parents." I actually watched a bit of it tonight while I was folding my laundry. The parents involved don't really seem to be the world's strictest per se. Their strictness seems to mainly take the form of forcing children to do manual labor; if that's the standard, then I think that China is technically the world's strictest parent. But to be fair, the kids involved don't seem all that screwed up, either. Mainly they just smoke and wear their pants too low; if that's the standard, most of Wicker Park should be on the show. There are a lot of heart to hearts and lessons are learned. The lesson I learned was to find something else to watch while folding my laundry.

There are also shows called Bayou Billionaires and Redneck Rehab. Frankly, I just can't.

I have seen portions of their cheerleading-related shows. Why they felt cheerleading was a good match for their redneck brand, I'm not sure, but... oh wait, yeah, I do get it. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of yelling, a lot of makeup, and a lot of eyes popping out of people's heads. If it weren't for the occasional acrobatics, it could just be Real Housewives.

I'm going to turn off my television now, perhaps permanently.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?