<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Men at Work

It's been more than five months now since I left my firm job. There have been many benefits to this, such as the fact that I can now make social plans without warning friends and family that they are wholly subject to last minute cancellation with or without warning. Also, I am no longer insane, or at least not as insane. My crying jags have dwindled to almost none and I now very rarely throw electronic devices in a momentary rage. No one has come by to complain about me shouting into my phone. It has, in fact, been so long since I had a manic or depressive episode that I'm starting to doubt that they were real. I mean, I could not possibly have lived my life as Lindsay Lohan portraying Elizabeth Taylor, could I?

I do have to say, however, that having such an all-encompassing job did make an excellent excuse for all of the other failings in my life, however. You see, the only reason I had not written the Great American Novel (likely about someone overcoming something, such as adversity) was because I worked too much and did not have time. Now it is clear that my failures in the regard are due mainly to the fact that I find Lifetime movies endlessly interesting. Previously, I could blame my occasional crankiness with friends and relatives on the demands of my job; now everyone knows it's just because I'm kind of an asshole. I also no longer really have a great excuse for skipping church, even though I really, really want to, since it is election season and Catholic God seems to be pretty much full time fixated on matters of lady parts. I'm pretty sure it's from the Gospel of Luke somewhere; he's the pervy one, right?

Anyway, it's Sunday and I've got a whole day ahead of me to accomplish something with my life. Or to import CDs I haven't listened to since junior high into my iTunes. One or the other.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?