<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Painkiller Diaries

Had my oral surgery this morning. No general anaesthesia for this one, but I still couldn't really tell you what they were doing in there for half the time. As it turns out, I can't see my mouth very well. And I had my headphones on (to drown out the Christmas mix they were already playing), so I was lucky if I could even hear the various commands about head turning. They did take a lot of pictures, though (not kidding), which they showed me after. Turns out it was a pretty gruesome affair.

My surgeon was actually quite thrilled about how everything went, thanking me elaborately for my efforts (just lying there) and telling me over and over that we hit a home run. He even got a bit emotional as he explained that, although he obviously gets paid for his work, the real payoff is seeing an excellent patient like me get such a good result. Good to know that all of my flossing and rinsing made a difference for someone.

The best news, though, is that I'm going to be on painkillers for the next week or so. They must be pretty wonderful because I feel fantastic even as things keep happening that I objectively know should be irritating the crap out of me. I mean, weird strangers set next to me on public transit twice today and I was totally fine about it. A lady at Walgreen's just ignored her child as kept running back and forth and kicking customers, but I didn't even seethe. I can see why people get hooked on these things.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?