<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 06, 2013

Viewings

So I saw the Steve McQueen show at the Art Institute yesterday. I have to admit that I didn't know much about Steve McQueen as an artist, but at least I knew more about him than the people who clearly had him confused with Steve McQueen the film actor, since they kept asking where the Steve McQueen exhibit was while standing in the Steve McQueen exhibit. It was mainly video, which was kind of weird in the sense that it involved standing in the dark with strangers in the enormous rooms of the Regenstein Hall. Also in the sense that there were a number of penises that made appearances in the videos. It felt kind of like when I used to watch soaps with my grandmother and suddenly people would be taking their tops off. But regardless, I liked it just fine. The same cannot be said for the older lady who left the exhibit at the same time as us, whose friend was waiting outside and asked "Was it any good, Jeanne?" Jeanne just pursed her lips and shook her head back and forth slowly. Everybody's a critic these days.

I also saw Skyfall yesterday. I enjoyed it, although it was hard for me to get over the fact that I was sitting in a Saturday matinee of a movie that opened a month ago and it was still completely sold out. The action sequences were pretty great and Sam Mendes definitely knows how to shoot a good looking movie. The acting combination of Fiennes and Dench was definitely a powerhouse; how no one has asked them to make a buddy cop comedy together yet, I'll never know. The plot did sort of depend on the internet being magic, but that's not at all uncommon these days. I would definitely recommend it, if I weren't pretty sure that I'm already the last person in America to see it.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?