<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Here's the Pitch...

So I saw Pitch Perfect last night. It was all right. Given all of the hyperventilation surrounding it (I'm looking at you, Entertainment Weekly), I sort of expected it to be the greatest cinematic achievement since the advent of the talkies, but it was just mildly pleasant and likable. I have to admit that I was hampered somewhat by the fact that I have a general aversion to a cappella groups, stemming partially from their tendency towards the cutesy (look, I'm making percussion noises with my mouth!) and the pun-filled. Also from the fact that some a cappella singers I have encountered place the importance of what they do right up there with performing brain surgery and exposing human trafficking, but who's counting? Anyway, the movie did succeed by and large in making a cappella singers seem funny and entertaining as opposed to annoying and frightening, which was good. And some of the jams were actually pretty sick. I'm somewhat troubled by Anna Kendrick, specifically her mouth size and placement, and Brittany Snow to me has no particular reason for being, but I did enjoy Rebel Wilson, although not as much as she seems to have enjoyed herself. The guys were sort of nondescript, as evidenced by the fact that I am not particularly able to describe them. And there were lots of things that the script sort of threw out there and then didn't particularly know what to do with, such as daddy issues and homoerotic subtext. But generally it was entertaining, so I'm not complaining. My other Netflix disc right now is Inherit the Wind, by way of comparison. Expect a report on that one in approximately two years.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?