<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

On The Aisle

I saw the new Star Trek movie last night. It was pretty good. I did end up checking my phone a little bit during it, because I have a number of apps that are really heating up right now, but it was no reflection on the quality of the movie. Okay, I also ended up sending a few texts. But I'm very busy and important. That's certainly not J.J. Abrams' fault. He doesn't even return my calls.

Anyway, I thought it was fine. There were some good action sequences and the actors were all okay. It's kind of weird that some of them seem to just be doing impersonations of the original actors. Not that I'm all that familiar with the original actors, but my parents did used to check the VHS tapes out of the library and force us to watch when I was a kid, so I think it's imprinted on me a bit. The guy who plays "Bones" (ha ha) is the one who really strikes me with this. Chris Pine doesn't seem to be imitating William Shatner, but maybe I just can't remember what William Shatner was like before he devolved into self parody. And I really like Zoe Saldana, mainly just because she was in Center Stage. She might just have been the Best God Damn Dancer in the American Ballet Academy, had that role already not been spoken for.

Some of the dialogue was a bit terrible/expository. And what's with everybody in movies these days being a good guy and then a bad guy and then a good guy? Or some combination thereof? I like my villain to be obvious, thank you very much.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?